Armstrongs, Edinburgh
I realised that my CCS work so far hasn’t been
particularly discursive (not so good for a “discursive blog”) so I decided to
make a very short survey to send out to friends and classmates and find out
what their opinions are on spending money on charity shops and eBay, vintage
clothes, high street stores and handmade pieces. I’ll hopefully be sending it
out to a broader range of people as most of these responses come from fellow
art school students, more female than male, but for now this is a summary of
the results:
How do you feel
about buying second-hand clothes from charity shops/eBay?
“Absolutely no
problem buying second-hand clothes - love finding a bargain! Tend to shop more
on eBay because of convenience but only buy brands I know which size I am.”
“I enjoy buying
clothes from charity shops. They are usually better quality and at a more
affordable price. By this I mean real wool, leather etc. I have never bought
clothes from eBay. You have to see and feel and item of clothing in person to know
its quality and realise its appeal.”
“I love to go onto
eBay and see what bargains I can get, the thrill of bidding on something is
quite appealing too. I have bought a good few things second hand on eBay and I
find it much better than going into shops. Not being able to see the clothes is
obviously not ideal, but I still for some reason find it better going on eBay
than going into a charity shops, where I can actually see the clothes. I rarely
go into charity shops for clothes, unless the displays look modern.”
The response here was largely in favour of buying cheap
second hand clothing, nobody really mentioned any issues with wearing other
people’s old potentially damaged “leftovers” which I had expected. There’s a fairly
equal mixture of people preferring charity shops because you get to see the
garment before paying for it, and people preferring eBay because it’s just
easier and quicker.
Is this different
to how you feel about buying “vintage” clothes from proper vintage stores?
“Prefer vintage
shops, but can't beat the other two [charity shops/eBay] on price. And good for
finding vintage look alike stuff.”
“Vintage shops come
with their own more accepted/on trend aura, but are often overpriced!”
“Charity shops are
often cheaper and all vintage clothing for me is the same wherever you buy it.”
“I think there is
more of a chance I would find something I value more in a vintage shop. The
clothes seem to come with their own story. Charity shops seem to me like they
wouldn’t have many old things in them, just almost new throwaway fashion type clothes.”
Feelings about vintage clothes are more mixed, some
people think they would place more value on vintage and some are not convinced
that it’s any different from other second hand clothing. Generally everyone
agrees on vintage clothes being more expensive, which adds to the value but
also could potentially put customers off when there are cheaper options
available in charity shops.
Do you tend to buy
cheap from high street stores or spend a little more on something with more
“value”?
“Having spent my
student years buying a lot, cheap, I now prefer to invest in good pieces that
will last and hold their shape better.”
“A mixture of the
two, but I would rather spend £80-£100 on something and really love it and know
its super good quality than buy two or three cheapish things from high street.”
“I do a bit of both!
Just because there may be something basic I need or shoes that don't fit me in
charity stores that I can find in high street places.”
“I have two
favourite shops - one that is known for quality and one that is known for its
throw away fashions. I often juggle my spending between the two.”
Everyone here said that they tend to cross between
spending more on quality and less on fast fashion, nobody was exclusively
either one or the other. Reasons for cheap high street buying included a
student budget that didn’t allow for more expensive clothes, and buying things
like shoes and underwear that aren’t easy to find (or particularly appealing to
buy) second hand.
Have you ever
bought handmade clothes or accessories? If so, what was the appeal?
“I HATE high street
shops’ jewellery.”
“I'd be more
inclined to buy accessories than clothes. I don't think you can beat the
uniqueness of handmade, especially for a really special present or treat!”
“The good thing
about handmade is that they tend to be unique and are often more durable.”
“I think I've only
bought handmade jewellery or bags.”
“I generally always
buy handmade accessories. Scarves, jewellery and winter hats I have feel have a
bespoke quality if made by hand. Something that I tend to treasure longer than
a high street piece. I think the most appealing aspect to handmade clothing is
that it sparks sentiment.”
“I have bought some
accessories in the past and had some clothes made for me. It’s quite a personal
experience with the designer of them. One off pieces are definitely more
valuable as you’re not wearing what anyone else is … I have a silver bracelet
which includes gold from one my great-grandfathers medals. It was handmade for
my 21st birthday and it is definitely one of my most treasured possessions for
the fact that it’s personal, unique and handmade.”
“I have never bought
hand made clothes or accessories.”
This was the most interesting result for me (and also
incredibly encouraging) – only one person said they had never purchased
handmade fashion. Everyone else was very enthusiastic about it, especially
accessories, more often than not because handmade pieces are unique and better
made, and also sometimes sentimental.
While varied, all the results were definitely leaning more
in favour of buying ethically when it comes to fashion and accessories. This
could be down to the participants largely consisting of students who exist in
an art school where these things are often brought up – perhaps they would be
very different if I asked people of different ages and different backgrounds? I’m
going to send this out to a few different people to broaden my research.
What this means
for my practise: Considering my work is all handmade and uses mostly upcycled/repurposed
materials, these results are very encouraging. They also help point me towards
my target market.
(Thanks to Kirsty Macmillan, Libby Walden, Caitlyn Main, Craig Lee, Didi Jellema, Fiona Stewart, Carmel Wilkinson-Ayre, Madeleine Edwards, Amy Dobbie and Sean Wilson for taking part!)
(Thanks to Kirsty Macmillan, Libby Walden, Caitlyn Main, Craig Lee, Didi Jellema, Fiona Stewart, Carmel Wilkinson-Ayre, Madeleine Edwards, Amy Dobbie and Sean Wilson for taking part!)

No comments:
Post a Comment